Wednesday 21 May 2014

Review ~ Love, in English by Karina Halle

Beautiful!

He’s thirty-eight. I’m twenty-three.

He speaks Spanish. I speak English.

He lives in Spain. I live in Canada.

He dresses in thousand-dollar suits. I’m covered in tattoos.

He’s married and has a five-year old daughter. I’m single and can’t commit to anyone or anything.

Until now.Because when they say you can’t choose who you fall in love with, boy ain’t that the f*#king truth.

***

To a restless dreamer like Vera Miles, it sounded like the experience of a lifetime. Instead of spending her summer interning for her astronomy major, she would fly to Spain where she’d spend a few weeks teaching conversational English to businessmen and women, all while enjoying free room and board at an isolated resort. But while Vera expected to get a tan, meet new people and stuff herself with wine and paella, she never expected to fall in love.

Mateo Casalles is unlike anyone Vera has ever known, let alone anyone she’s usually attracted to. While Vera is a pierced and tatted free spirit with a love for music and freedom, Mateo is a successful businessman from Madrid, all sharp suits and cocky Latino charm. Yet, as the weeks go on, the two grow increasingly close and their relationship changes from purely platonic to something…more.

Something that makes Vera feel alive for the first time.

Something that can never, ever be.

Or so she thinks



Ramblings . . . (and boy do I ramble this this one)

“He slowly turned around. “What is love? In English.” I raised my brows. “Love, in English, is love?” “What is it in Spanish?” I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?” He shook his head ever so slightly. “No. Love in Spanish is you.” 

This was a first for me. As Karina crossed to the dark side and graces us all with a romance.

          This was a book that I was dying to read. I followed the teasers religiously until the day it finally released. From which point I was hooked to my kindle until the very end.

          So completely different to anything I have read before and completely compelling. Love, in English is a fire-cracker. Filled with angst and tension that reels you in from the start.

“Love is like a thief, it robs you of all thought and logic, and all you have left is a heart that you can only pray is strong enough to survive the rest.” 

       Vera Miles, a kickass chick with a badass name. She is exactly as she sounds. I LOVE her. It’s not hard to fall in love with characters that are so genuine and likeable. Not your typical leading lady and one that will be hard to get over. Covered in tattoos, fiery red hair and a 50’s pin-up dream (some might say ;)) that is how I see Vera. 



“A gorgeous, sensual, Spanish god. That’s what he looked like to me.” 

Then there is Mateo Casalles. *Swoon – Fans oneself*. From the moment he turns his head (imagine in slow motion) his thick hair swishing across his forehead. Deep eyes gazing straight into your soul. Then his mouth opens (a beautifully carved mouth – surrounded in a gentle grazing of facial hair) and out comes the sexy Spanish language. Damn. An unusual pair on sight but by far the most compelling an awe-inspiring couple I have read in a LONG time.



“Design your own universe, make your own stars, write your own stories, and create your own destiny.” 

“You burn so brightly,” he said, his voice low and rough to raise the hair on my arms. “I would like to burn with you.” 

          I literally had butterflies 99% of the time, whilst reading this book. A beautiful story of love and how it is indeed the same in any language. Teaching us that you may find love in any part of the world. But whether or not you are strong enough to hold on to that love, is another matter. The story cleverly changes pace, in sync with this theme. The first half, is spent with our wonderful characters as they fall deeply in love with one another – against all odds and conscious thinking. In their very own Spanish bubble.

“Hope was a dangerous thing, I knew, but it didn’t stop your heart from latching on to it like a life raft.” 

          Okay, so the only way to describe the chemistry between these two, is like this. A state of foreplay. The tension builds and builds steadily, it floods you to your very core. Butterflies are sweeping your insides and you feel yourself falling deeper and deeper – against better judgement – and although you try to fight it – eventually you know that the heart will win out. The ending is inevitable because you just know you have to kiss this man. This beautiful man that gets you like no one before. Despite all obstacles out in the real world – that are stacked against you. Right now, you are in this bubble – just you and he and time on your side – for now. Everything is black and white, plain and simple. Chrystal clear. For now. For now – You want so badly to give in.



          That is the power of Karina Halle’s writing. You really feel all of this. Every emotion is your own. The depth of her writing is over-powering. Completely soul-grabbing. 

          My heart split in two for these characters. Whom I adored immediately. From the dreamy world of pure love to the tough reality – is like a bucket of ice cold water being thrown over you.

          You will find yourself always on edge with this story. Always at breaking point. But always living in the moment. And always waiting – waiting for heartache?

          Absolutely gripping and enthralling. Totally takes over your mind and body. I can honestly say that it isn’t often that a story can reach in so far you feel it touch your soul. Your goddamn soul. It will turn you into a mess just as it did me! I was in shit deep with this book. Pure bliss. Exhilerating,. Powerful. Gahhhh!!!

          Set in the beautiful city of Spain – this book truly takes you out of reality for a time and lifts you into this beautiful place where everything around you stands still for a moment as your sucked into the smells, sights and gorgeous people of this wonderful City – and I have never even been to Madrid. What a clever, clever lady.

          Beautiful, hot and steamy sex scenes. I grew bored of these as of late – finding myself skipping the sordid scenes. So THANKYOU Karina for showing us how it is done *Sigh*

          I could ramble for hours about this baby but I urge you to go pick it up. It wasn’t my intention to scare you off with my spillage of love for this story - exactly the opposite. I fell in love with Vera and Mateo’s story and I know you will too.

This story will enrapture you.

Beautiful, compelling, original


Fiery, awe – inspiring and captures your heart and imagination– 100% MUST READ 

I'm off to dream of Spain, Vera and Mateo now because I just don't know what else to do now.

Easiest 5 stars given. These stars actually remind me of Vera.

Damn. Karina Halle -  What have you done to me? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment